Thursday, May 13, 2010

Because You Demanded It!


I’ve always wanted to be able to say that.

Unfortunately the “you” in that title refers to just two people and the “it” refers to my drawing the Daughters of the Dragon, two characters I had no idea how to approach. While researching the definitive look of these characters, I dug out my ESSENTIAL IRON FIST trade and took a trip down memory lane. I pretty much knew what I was going to do with Misty Knight because I remembered her vividly from her appearance in MARVEL TEAM-UP. That skin-tight black outfit, shoulder harness and badass afro were hard to forget. But Colleen Wing just never had an iconic look. Thumbing through the collection, it became apparent that Ms. Wing changed her outfits (and hairstyle) more often than Janet Van Dyne. John Byrne came up with some interesting looks for her but nothing I could nail down. So I just cobbled this outfit together out of a couple pieces Byrne had her wearing. The bell bottoms were a last minute decision and I’m glad it happened. I dig ‘em.

I really wasn’t happy with where the drawing was going when I sketched it out. There’s still something about it that bothers me. I think it’s Colleen’s face and hair. The drawing style doesn’t match or something. I struggled mightily with the drawing because of my aforementioned lack of experience drawing women and was falling back on my crutch of imitating Timm and Cooke. As a result, her face came out a little more cartoony than I’d intended and doesn’t match my natural drawing style. It’s a shame because I think I saved the drawing, more or less, in the inks. Not that I think it’s really any good. I wasn’t going to post it at all but I’m on a quest to become better at drawing women so I figured I’d put it out there, warts and all, to force me to keep trying and redeem myself.

Misty’s guns (another shortcoming of mine) gave me fits too. I couldn’t find any reference from the proper angles and so I just faked the funk. I apologize to any gun enthusiasts out there who are cringing at everything I got wrong. I just sort of made the guns up. And lets hope Misty refrains from discharging the one in her right hand because Colleen’s hearing will never be the same.

I hope you like it, even if I don’t. Have a great weekend.

Later.

2 comments:

Warren said...

I like it. :)

Brian said...

Thanks Matt.

I see what you mean about Colleen's face, but I like it, so I say, don't fight it, go with it and see where it takes you next time.