Thursday, March 10, 2011

Daring Myself


Well, here it is. Two weeks in the making (in two-to-five minute bursts). My perspective is a little wonky but, in my defense, I really only had room for the paper on my new desk and not much room for even the smallest of rulers. Still, it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools so I’ll own it.

I tried to throw a few curves at myself this time. Often, I get frustrated and resort to straight-on shots of my subject. This time, I "dared" myself to do something a little bit different. Not much but just out of my comfort zone. Wormseye view. Underlighting. Heavy backgrounds. It’s not my best drawing but I’m happy that I did it. I’d actually tried several passes at a different character in a much different setting then gave up and, for some reason, felt the need to draw Daredevil. Gotta run with the inspirations when they come. Because they don’t come often.

I hope you like the drawing. That’s all I’ve got time for. I am getting KILLED at work this month.

Later.

2 comments:

todd said...

hey, matt~!

love the daredevil! love the uplighting and the pose~ and i can see you put a lot into that background as well--really nice piece! (sorry that you're so confined and monitored in your new work space. fascism sux.)

i also wanted to say thanks for posting/sharing that beautiful alex ross tribute piece. (for some reason blogger wasn't letting me comment last week--it can be a fickle bitch...) you and i talked about it when you found it and sent it over, but it's nice that everyone get a chance to see it. what a beautiful piece and a nice tribute!

thanks~!
to you and to alex...

Brian said...

Matt, you nailed the uplighting on DD's face. Great job.