Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day

Today is an important day. It's one of those national "holidays" that gets easily forgotten because, well, nobody gets the day off from work. But the day has double meaning for me and my family. Not only is November 11th the day we remember and honor the men and women who have put their lives on the line to protect our way of life, but it's also my father's birthday. Dad was in the Army for 20 years and served during two wars, Korea and Vietnam. I suspect this year, this day will be particularly difficult for him so I plan to call him early. "Happy Birthday" doesn't seem appropriate but I'll think of something.

So regardless of how you feel about the current war we find ourselves in, if you know a veteran, (say, Nick Cardy, Todd?) make sure you call them or just give them a hug. Just because this day isn't on your holiday-radar doesn't mean it's not verrrry important to them.

6 comments:

craig rousseau said...

well said.

and give your dad a big "thank you for your service" from us next time you talk to 'm, will ya?

-c

Heywood Jablomie said...

here here. my gf served in the navy for 4 years and her dad was in the AF in vietnam AND more recently he did a 15 month tour for the national guard in Iraq, and my gf's bro is still in the forces, i thank them alot for all they've done. especially her dad who's had to suffer not one but two crazy wars. but nice post and i second the thanks to your dad as well!

Brian said...

Thanks Mat.

My dad and brother-in-law served in the marines and two of my cousins were career navy men so it's good to know others out there are taking the time to show our vets the respect that they have EARNED.

renecarol said...

When I was at the EPA we always got Veteran's Day off.. so not getting the day off this year seems odd.

Anonymous said...

I served for 4 years, did 2 MEFcruises to the gulf...never fun, but it's what we did.
I am 3rd generation Navy. Funny how it all seems so far away, even working on a base filled with news from over there....
Just remember what all those men/women are doing over there, and remember it's for us, no matter what the duty calls.
Tell your dad thank you for me, Matt, I appreciate everything he has done for this country...
That doesn't sound corny, huh?
Good thing happened today, I asked my kids if they knew what today was, they both sat there and explained it all to me...made me feel good, gives me a lil more hope for the future...

Christian D. Leaf said...

Yup, I called my 'rents and wished my two favorite vets a happy Veterans Days.