Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Character Sketches



Heeeeere's Johnny.

Though I posted an earlier sketch for my lead character (for my still-untitled story) I thought I'd refine him a little. I've started doing these sheets for all the characters and I'm having a lot of fun. I've done another one for "Dana" but had some minor surgery on my back (so minor they had me dressed and wheeled out the door before I was fully awake) and though I'm recovering nicely, the fifteen stitches and soreness make it difficult to sit at my desk at work, much less bend over a drawing table. So I wasn't able to finish it in time to post both of them together. I've been doing these at my desk during lunch or at night when I'm there late. It's keeping my drawing hand limber so I can hopefully get back to the 'Haps pages and hit the ground running. Between our vacation, the Baltimore con, work and now this, I hit a snag with three pages to go. With the deadline fast approaching (or past?) I'm a little nervous. So wish me luck. I remember it was always impossible to pull Mike away from his drawing table for anything fun because he was always terrified at how long it would take him to get back "into his groove". I didn't understand that then but I'm getting an idea of how difficult it was for him.

I showed this drawing to Suzanne and she said, "Cute. It looks like you." I don't see it. I'm usually drawn much older. :) Must be because I use the old animators' trick of looking in the mirror for facial expressions. I gave him the Richie Rich curlie bangs because I've always liked drawing them though, if my hair did that, I'd probably scream. Anyway, I hope you like it. It's nice having a definite look for a character. It helps when writing dialogue. For me, anyway.

Gotta run. I want to take advantage of having the day off and stay out of this chair as much as possible. I've been using my back as an excuse to lay around the house all weekend watching horror movies. Think I'd better get back to that. Have a great weekend.

Later.

6 comments:

Gordon said...

I notice not only the resemblance to you but a certain number that perhaps you used to wear as well.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome, Matt!

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Gotta go. I'm about to start watching Stephen King's Silver Bullet.

Tim Perkins said...

Hi Matt,

Hope you are feeling much better soon.

The trouble with any back troubles is no matter what you do to alleviate any pain, every part of your body that you move causes some distress.

The character sketches are brilliant.

Can't wait to see the finished book(s).

Best,
Tim...
(''j)

Matt Wieringo said...

Darn it, McCraw! I knew you'd bust me for that! :)

Every time I think nobody's reading this crap...mutter, mutter...

Brian said...

Hey Matt, glad to hear you are on the mend and hope you are 100% real soon.

Gordon said...

Sorry bro, but you did bring up that suzzanne said it was you, or I would have kept it to myself LMAO