Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Wolfman


Though I haven't been much enjoying the weather this year (we've just had our third massive snowfall in a month) I have to say this is one of my favorite times of year. Because of the horror movies. A lot of them get dumped in the theater around this time because, though they usually make a profit, they aren't really family-friendly enough to be considered summer tent poles. So early this year, we're getting LEGION, THE CRAZIES and a film I'm looking forward to more than any other movie this year, THE WOLFMAN. It seems like this thing's been in production forever. I think Ain't It Cool News began reporting on it at least 5 years ago. But it's finally done and will be in theaters next weekend.

Werewolves are my favorite monster but they've always had a spotty record in theaters. People just don't seem to know what to do with them. I guess it's the whole full moon thing. Kind of makes it hard to come up with a convincing threat if you know exactly when and how the monster will strike. (The movie BAD MOON tried something interesting with that. Michael Pare handcuffed himself to a tree each night. But how did he manage to get loose each morning? Never figured that one out.) But everything I've seen from THE WOLFMAN looks promising. This looks like great old school werewolf stuff, right out of the Lon Chaney playbook. And I can't wait. I just hope I can make it to the damned theater. I'll be spending tomorrow digging out of the snow (just like last weekend) and we're supposed to get even more snow this coming week.

Anyway, to get myself in the mood, I did the sketch above. I still stink at drawing werewolves but I kind of like it.

***********

One more quick note. Christian had been after me all week to go with him to the book signing of AFRODISIAC creator Jim Rugg at Velocity Comics Friday night. Suze and I were doubtful we'd make it because of the impending storm. Fortunately, the snow fall didn't start in earnest until late last night and all we were getting was a nasty, soupy slush. So we went ahead and checked it out. Only to have Christian bail on us. (Get it? Christian bail?) Still, it was nice to be able to check out Rugg's beautiful original artwork and pick up a signed copy of the AFRODISIAC hardcover. Nice stuff. If you haven't read it, please do. Mr. Rugg will be signing more books today, Saturday, February 6th at the awesome Chapel Hill Comics in Chapel Hill, NC. If you remember, that's where Mike bought all his books. Check it out if you're in the area.

Later

6 comments:

Warren said...

Nice werewolf!

And now you got me thinking about that old Werewolf by Night series Marvel had in the 70's. Mike Ploog started it and did some beautiful stuff, but Don Perlin took over, and though his stuff wasn't as dynamic, damn if it wasn't atmospheric! Good stuff from back when Marvel was putting out some of its best stuff ever.

Josh said...

I know how you feel. The werewolf is my favorite monster too. I'm really looking forward to this. Some werewolf movies actually have people turning into werewolves every night, or at will. And I'm sure you've heard of the comic book Werewolf By Night. The main character turns into a werewolf every night, not just during a full moon. We got a ton of snow here last night. And it'll probably stick around for at least a week, the snow on the ground that is.

Josh said...

The Wolfman is the "This" I was referring to.

Brian said...

Two words, baby, "Teen Wolf"

Matt Wieringo said...

Three words: "Teen Wolf Too."

Paul Rogers said...

Hiya Matt & Suzanne! Ah, now this brings back memories of the first comic book series that I ever followed! 'Werewolf By Night' was, and is, one of my favorite comic books ever! A horror fan from a young age, this '70's monster comic jumped off the racks & bewitched me with Mike Ploog's incredible artwork featuring ferocious creatures, sensual women, brooding backgrounds and everything else needed for a good scary 1970's comic book! In fact, the very first time I ever looked at the credits in a comic book was 'Werewolf By Night #17' when I immeadiately realized that this wasn't 'My' Werewolf anymore (no disrespect to artist Don Perlin who continued & finished the series in his own fashion) and that the torch had been passed to another creative team. Good times man, good times.