Saturday, June 28, 2008

Michael Turner

Most of you have heard by now but I just found out Michael Turner has passed away at the ridiculously young age of 37. What is it about the comic book business that so many die so young? This one feels like a punch to the gut, though I don't pretend to know what his family is going through. I can imagine, though.

I won't be a hypocrite and say I was a fan of his published work but a lot of people were and so there was something there to appreciate. I will say that I saw him doing an oversized drawing of Fathom for an auction (maybe at Heroes?) years ago and I was very impressed. He drew very quickly and the final drawing was just lovely. I recognized the style and thought, "That's Michael Turner?" He smiled the whole time he was drawing and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. By all accounts, he was a really nice guy.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Comic Book Resources has a nice piece on him here. As they mention, Michael Turner's requested charities are The Make-A-Wish Foundation and The American Cancer Society.

2 comments:

Heywood Jablomie said...

aw man, not another one. this is sad news indeed. i knew he was sick, but thought they said he was doing better. i wasn't a huge fan of his stuff. when he first started he did some good work, then after a while to me it got 'samey', but it always had energy to it, that's for sure.

Warren said...

Whether you liked his storytelling style or not, he was prolific, and his stuff was -- more often than not -- very beautiful. Sounds like he faced the big C with spririt and courage. He was too young.